The appliance UCS Manager will load the configuration stored in the ‘Start-up Inventory’. On deployment and with no changes, this only contains 2 x Fabrix Interconnects, 1 x Chassis and 8 x Server. That configuration can be added to or modified by a drag-and-drop interface in the Hardware Inventory. To access this, select the ‘Hardware Inventory’ option on the appliance control panel inside the web interface.
In a previous post, I discussed the process for migrating and installing the UCS-PE v2.0 into a vSphere environment. In this post, we will look at configuring and initial usage of the environment.
Following deployment, the VM may or may not have booted with a DHCP IP address. We’ll take up the story there:
Configuring UCSPE v2.0:
1. Launch vClient and open the console to the UCSPE virtual machine.
2. The initial username and password for the appliance are: u: config, p: config. Login to the appliance using these credentials. [Read more...]
In the hardware post for the vSpecialist Labs, we listed the hardware we have to play with to construct the Lab. Now is the challenge of what to do with it. Here is a scratch list of the projects we will be running in the Labs over the coming months.
Status: Testing (T), Research (R), Proof-of-Concept (POC), Evaluation (E).
Infrastructure / vSphere:
- ghettoVCB VM backups (T)
- ESXi Hardening using host profiles (T)
- vCenter Orchestrator appliance (T)
- Integrating vCenter Orchestrator appliance with Cisco UCS platform emulator (T) (E)
- vCenter Operations (E)
- Multi-site vCloud Director configuration with v1.5 (R) (POC)
- vCloud Director appliance (T)
- Multi-site PvDCs per Organisation (R)
- vCloud Connector 1.5 within an Organisation as an endpoint (T)
Site Recovery Manager 5
- SRM within a vCD Organisation as an endpoint (T)
- vSphere Replication (T)
VMware View 5
- View deployment with Cisco UCS (T) (POC)
Over time, we will link to these roadmap items with posts and more information. Please also see the vSpecialist Labs Overview page for lab configuration information.
As part of a dual-purpose task of a production UCS system and research & development of UCS workflows using Orchestrator, I have deployed the recently released Cisco UCS Platform Emulator v2.0. Released on 18th November, the platform emulator is available for download here, with document here.
The platform is downloadable as a 7zip archive, and needs a (free) Cisco Developer Network account.
- The 7zip archive contains VMDK files that can be used with Workstation or Fusion, but need some additional steps to get it to work in a vSphere environment.
- To install in vSphere, the VMDK files need to be processed with VMware Converter Standalone, then deployed to vCenter directly.
Note: For this post, we will be installing to a vSphere 5 deployment, and assume you have VMware Converter installed on your vCenter server. If your environment differs from this, this guide might need changing slightly. [Read more...]