I’ve been fortunate to get my hands on some pretty decent hardware (for a ‘home’ lab setup anyway) to build this lab. The servers are as follows:
– 2 Servers @ 2 x Quad Xeon 2.0GHz / 16GB RAM
– 2 Servers @ 2 x Dual Xeon 2.66GHz / 16GB RAM
– 1 Server @ 2 x Quad Xeon 2.0GHz / 8GB RAM
– 1 Server @ 2 x Dual Xeon 2.6GHz / 8GB RAM
– 1 Server @ 2 x Dual Xeon 3.0GHz / 4GB RAM
– 1 x HP MSA1000 (14 x Ultra320 SCSI 15k)
– 2 x HP / Brocade Switches (7 ports per switch
– 1 x MSA60 (14 x Ultra320 SCSI 15k)
– 4 x 1GB NICs per ESXi host
– 2 x 4GB HBA per ESXi host
– 1 x 48-port Cisco access switch
All the kit is now installed into the racks and available via remote control. Fortunately, this isn’t a true home build in the definitive sense, as the kit is being hosted in a Tier 3 datacenter in the South West – something that will make my wife happy (show me a long suffering vAdmin significant other who loves servers in the spare room), and also keep the power bills to something near normal levels.
Jeremy loves all things technology! Has been in IT for years, loves Macs (but doesn't preach to others about their virtues), loves virtualization (and does shout about it's virtues), and sometimes skis, bikes and directs amateur plays!