- Work in the virtualisation space (and usually share a passion for it)
- Work with different ancillary products and technologies than you’re used to
- Work in different ways than you’re used
- Have different opinions on how to achieve the same IT related goals
- Have loads of great stories and experiences to share
On top of all of that you get to learn lots of new things and pick the brains of some industry luminaries, oh and have a few beers with them afterwards.
There are also VMUGs held regularly in the North of England (Leeds usually) and sometimes in Scotland as well I believe. I’ve only made it to the Northern VMUG once and never as far as Scotland. Now though, there’s an event that is intended to bring all of these groups together.
The date for the UK’s first National VMUG has been set. It will be on Thursday November 3rd 2011 at the National MotorCycle Museum in the midlands (actually quite handy for me). Current sponsors are VMware and Hitachi Data Systems (HDS)
A precise agenda hasn’t been set at the time of writing but the all day event (8.00am to 5.00pm) will include the following:
- Multiple tracks
- Keynote speakers
- Exhibitor area with VMware partners
- VMware educational sessions
- Complimentary breakfast and lunch
Registration is open now, just head to the MyVMUG site. I plan to go and I look forward to meeting lots of people there too!
Michael is a Senior Consultant for Xtravirt. If it's got buttons or flashy lights on it then it'll probably be on his radar. When not "mending computers" (it's sometimes easier than explaining "cloud" to relatives), Michael provides essential education, entertainment and trampoline services to his two children.